Since I began the journey of mod support I've seen many cases where my old code was sloppy and ineffecient. For example:
Today I spent a few hours cleaning up and completely re-writing these inventory scripts. I managed to shave off 267 lines of code. I also changed the way that items are stored. Originally there were 2 different data structures for each of the inventory sections. The perk section, the main section, and the hot bar. I have compressed all 3 of those sections into only 2 data structures. This means that scripts can access their information much more effiecently. It may also help reduce saving and loading times in the future when servers have lots of players to handle.
I was also able to completely remove the old inventory system for crafting which means that the games memory usage should be drastically reduced since I only use a single object for crafting options now.
As I began writing out the document for mod support in Project Explore, it occured to me that I am terrible at writing. I decided to share the document publically while it is being written to allow people to help guide its development. Whether it be due to gramatical issues or a lack of information, I'd like to get feedback from everyone.
I should probably mention that it is far from complete and it will be written as I further develop the code base behind it.
Click the link below to give it a quick read!
I want to make regular status updates showing just how much work goes into a game like this. I think it will benefit everyone and it is a nice way to track my own progress.
It is important to note that I took a solid 7 days off from doing any actual programming this past month, which is why I am only counting 31 days since the last status update.
Last month 08/23/15
Total Lines Of Code (Excluding Empty Lines): 39,288
Total Characters (Letters, Numbers, Etc): 1,051,163
Lines Per Day: 109~ (lines per day/30)
Characters Per Day: 5,492~ (characters per day/30)
Since last month I've managed to add touchscreen support and have worked on mod support. I have to say that while 109 lines does not seem like a ton of work on a daily basis, I do believe that the 5,492 per day shows that I compress my lines a bit.
I hope this shows people how much work actually goes into a game.