I decided I should sit down and give Project Explore some time in the heat. I wanted to test out it's performance. See how it would handle things without any optimization outside of turning off it's drawing of things off screen. Not turning off collisions because I wanted to know how hefty they were. In the "read more" section, I've included tons of pictures of my performance tests.
The FPS here is not bad considering the fact that in this part of the test, I did not use the YoYo Compiler. Also, the number, "(226)" is the number of vertex batches being drawn. That's how I draw anything that appears 3D.
I added a LOT more objects here. As you can see, there are now 587 vertex batches. The picture below this one is the same world. The vertex batch number increases to 602 because when you are far away enough, objects do not draw themselves anymore.
At this point in the performance test, I reloaded the game and ran it with the YoYo Compiler. It seems to handle vertex batches a bit better now. "inst:" is the number of instances/objects in the world that are active. "Num Tex Swaps:" is the number of texture page swaps being performed each frame. I'm pretty sure I can lower that number drastically.
I stepped far away from the objects to stop them from rendering. The FPS is doing much better obviously but this means that we can do a lot with this even in the single player version.
I did the same test as the picture shows above but with 550 instances in the world and I got a FPS of 280.
The results are very pleasing and I am sure that performance will not and can not hinder this game. At least not until we start the multiplayer testing. At that point we will aim to support a minimum of 100 players per server. I will discuss my goals and intentions for the multiplayer in a later post.
Thanks for reading. Make sure to follow me on twitter @cookieboy31